Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9.21.11


Family,
 
 
   I know, I know. I apologize. When I actually start writing you guys it takes me a while, mainly because I'm a slow typer, but also because I have a lot to say, and Idk if other missionaries just write like a little paragragh to their families or something, but they somehow manage to read all their emails, write president back and write their family in an hour. It takes me an hour just to read all my emails and write president. So Elder Kowalk and I usually get back on and write our families. Yesterday we were doing the Spanish missionaries a favor and had to take them down to the Temple to see the departing missionaries, and then go shopping and things, so it cut our email time short, and so we weren't able to get back on. It's not like it's a burden to write you guys, I love letting you all know what's going on. I was actually a little frustrated because the spanish missionaries didn't let us know they were expecting us to cut email short, but it's all good. So sorry this is a day late.
    Sounds like everythings goin' bueno. Thank you for all the Happy Birthday wishes. Holidays and Birthdays are wierd on the mission, because they don't feel real, they just feel like another day in the mission field. But, I am infact 20 years old now, where did my childhood go? I dont even know. At least I can still be a kid on the inside.
   So, This past week was horrible. Mostly because my companion and I got some wicked food poisoning. Tuesday afternoon Elder Kowalk said his tummy hurt, so we went home after district meeting so he could lay down, and then he just started rolling around and crying and said he was in the worst pain of his life and told me to take him to the hospital. So I called Sister Petersen, who had us call the mission doctor, who talked to Elder Kowalk and came to the conclusion he had food poisoning, and said the only thing to really do was to wait it out. I knew it was only a matter of time before I got sick, since we ate all the same things. At around 6 that night I started getting a stomache ache. For those of you that have had food poisoning before, you feel our pain. Freak, that was the worst. I got to sleep at around 5 a.m. Wednesday morning. So Tuesday and Wednesday we were sick and didn't get any work done, so that sucked. My stomache felt like it was trying to be on the outside of me. Elder Kowalk said it was the worst pain he ever experienced in his life, lol. It was bad. I just kinda spent the whole night laying on the couch for like 20 min lying in pain, then crawling to the bathroom to throw up or poop or do anything possible to make my stomach feel better, lay on the bathroom floor for like 20 min, then crawl back out to the couch and repeat the cycle. But no matter what, I just contuinued to feel horrible for like 24 hours straight. So we're never eating at Stevie B's Pizza ever again, and I don't recommend it.
   After that our week got a little better. We found some awesome people and had some fun. Today is officially the start of the new transfer. Can you believe I've already been training for 6 weeks now? time flies. It's ridiculous. My dear friend Elder Streeter goes home today, he's a crazy kid. It's weird to think that missionaries actually go home. When you're out here in the middle of it, it just seems like your whole life, it's weird to think it's actually gonna end one day.
   I think this will be my last transfer serving in the Memphis 1st ward. I've been here my whole mission, and it'll be 10 1/2 months after this transfer, so it's probably about time. I can't even imagine not being in this area, it's gonna be so weird. If only they let me stay 1 more transfer after this one, then I can officially serve half my mission in the Memphis 1st ward. I don't think that'll happen, but maybe I can ask Pres to let me finish out in this ward, it can be my dying wish.
   Star is doing really well this week. She really loves Elder Kowalk and I, she calls us like every day and invites us over for dinner. We try to at least stop by just about every day, because she's still a recent convert and needs a lot of support, AND there's so many people around here that we can share the gospel with. Her sisters are always over there, and her baby daddy, and this kid she has temp custody over named Jeffery. Star is such a good person. She has her struggles like everyone, but she has the sweetest heart and spirit, and a strong desire to rise above her surroundings and culture. Memphis is like a black hole. The kids here grow up in the middle of this mess of gangs and drugs and sex and violence, and it's what they learn. There's a proverb somewhere that says something to the effect of , "teach a child while they're young, and it will stay with them when they're grown". It's and endless cycle of people not knowing how to be a good parent, because their parents were never even around, because they were addicted to meth or coke, or incarsarated for gang fights, so when we teach these people the gospel it's almost like it's too much to grasp. It doesn't make sense to them because of the way they've grown up. For example, there's a recent convert in the ward, GREAT guy, I love him to death, he has such a good heart, and he has had a huge change of heart, just like all these people we bring into the gospel. He's quit drinking, he's quit having sex outside of marriage, he's retired from GD (gangster disciples) so he's no longer active in his gang, he has changed so much. He called us up the other day and asked if we wanted to go to the strip club with him. Of course I was like, what in the world man, you know that's not what God wants you to do. But to him, he didn't even recognize that wasn't okay. He figured as long as he wasn't having sex he was good. It is sooooo so hard to help these people change their lifestyles when they are living in the middle of all of this madness. I pray everyday for answers, and honestly, I just wanna take all my recent converts and put them in Utah. They need to get out of here... but idk. We are making a change. Memphis is like a diamond in the rough. There's just so much rough we gotta get rid of.
   My birthday was really awesome! I got the money from both grandparents, thank you so much! and I got my package from you guys this morning, thank you, I love food! I also got a package from Kelsey this morning, with the coolest tie I now own inside, thanks so much Kels :) Going over to JD and Mo's was sweet. It's nice to have them so close by, it's like the closest I can get to feeling like I'm home. Monique was talking to Danielle on the phone, and she put it on loud speaker, and then she asked if Steve was there, and then JD and Mo just asked Steve tons of questions right next to me... It was the weirdest thing in the world hearing Stephen. I don't know if it's against the rules to be in the room with someone talking to your brother, but when I heard his voice and my heart just like jumped. When she first called danielle I thought she was talking to my mom, and I was like "are you seriously talking to my mom right in front of me?" and she was like, no! this is my sister. It was craziness. I'm sure you guys watched the video's. It super akward, but whatevs. We had a good time. Thank you Stevey and Dany for the candy. I appreciate it a lot.
   Before all that madness, we were at Brother Floyds house, and we played an intense game of Risk with him and the spanish missionaries. It was awesome, mostly because I destroyed everyone and conquered the world. lol... I was really bad at Risk before my mission, but for some reason I'm good now. Maybe the level of competition is weak here in the ALRM if you catch my drift. haha, jk. I like the old school version though, it's whats up. there's no crazy rules and it's just nice peaceful world domination.
   The work is going really well. We have some awesome new people we're working with and this week should be a winner. We have a new family that moved into the ward. Well, not moved, they were assigned to our ward from Millington, but they are awesome. The Hydes. They were called to be ward missionaries and Brother Hyde is the new scout master, and this guy is legit. He's so pumped up about the work, and want's to re-activate all the teenage kids in the ward through scouting. I went out with him this past week to visit some of the youth and it was awesome. He pumps me up, he's got so much energy. I'm excited to be working with him.
   Everything is going super beuno. I am having a great time. I love you all. I gotta get going. Have a great week. I especially love you momma. Sorry this email is late, I know you look forward to Mondays.
 
Love you.
 
-Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment