Monday, November 7, 2011

11.7.11


Dearest Family,
   It's good to hear from you. This past week was really pretty crazy. I'm exhausted, but I feel good knowing Elder Graham and I killed it this week... Let me tell you about it.
   I am in Little Rock now, but I feel like I'm in Frayser again. The Zone Leaders were suppossed to open up a new area this transfer, so I heard, but President decided to keep us in Maple St. So I'm in the Ghetto of Little Rock. Yeah Budddy. I was so worried that I wouldn't be teaching black people this transfer, but there isn't a white person to be found. I even have a black companion again. Let me tell you about him. His name is Elder Graham, he's 26 years old, born and raised in Jamaica (sp?). Yeah mon. He's pretty legit. So now I'm the only missionary thats served with both of the black elders in the mission, I take pride in that. I love Elder Graham, he's way chill (we're both very similar in that aspect) and he's super spiritual and has a lot of desire for this work. He's been on his mission for about 16 months now. He's only been a Zone Leader for 1 transfer, so we're both kinda new at it, and learning together.
   I think this area is more ghetto than the area's in memphis I was in. It's super super ghetto. We were tracting a street 2 days ago, and it was probably around 5, and we talked to this Lady for a couple minutes on the door step, she was really involved in her own religion, she was actually female pastor, but as we were getting ready to leave she said "The sun's gonna go down soon, and you guys don't wanna be in this neighborhood after it gets dark... especially you!" - as she pointed at me. lol... It's interesting being the minority, but for some reason I don't mind it.
  
  On Thursday, we drove down to North Little Rock for Zone Leader Council, which was sweet. There's 4 Zones in this mission, Little Rock (MyZone), North Little Rock, Memphis, and Memphis East. So there's only 8 Zone Leaders, it was pretty cool to have a meeting with President and the other Leaders since it was a lot more personal than a huge zone conference. President Petersen is an amazing man. He is so spiritual, it's really incredible. We talked about how to elevate the mission. This past month we hit our goal as a mission. The goal was 50 baptisms, and we acheived 54. Which is awesome. That's the best month we've had since I've been on my mission. If we could do that consistently we would baptize 600 in a year. The zone I got transfered into however, is not doing so hot. We only had 5 baptisms in October, and there are 28 missionaries in our zone, so between 14 companionships we only baptized 5. That's rough! Elder Graham and I have discussed a lot about what we could do to inspire and elevate, and what problems and difficulties might be holding us back. We have some stud missionaries in this Zone, and the work in these area's couldn't be more ready to harvest, so Idk, we're having Zone Meeting this Thursday, and hopefully we'll be able to help increase the level of work on this side of the mission. After Zone Leader Council Pres took all the Zone Leaders and AP's out to eat at this chinese resturaunt, so that was pretty legit.
  Elder Graham and I are trying to set the standard for the Zone, so we have really been busting our butts this week, and then we get home and plan and then waiting to make sure everyone is in and safe and calling the AP's at night. I'm tired... lol. It's good though. There's a talk by Elder Holland that says we need to work so hard on our missions that by the time we come home they need to carry us off the plane, there should be an ambulance to take us from the airport. Leave it all on the field... So I'm definately not going to slow down. I only have 13 and 1/2 more months. There's no time to waste. I can't believe how fast it's going. It makes me tear up thinking about it... Honestly I'm reaching a point where thinking about going home scares me a little. I heard about missionaries I knew that got really nervous and worried because they didn't want to leave the mission, but their time came. Now I'm starting to understand what they mean, I'm not even half way done and I'm concerned. I just tell myself every morning - "I'm gonna be a missionary forever" - I think I've convinced myself, because going home doesn't seem real. I feel like I'm going to be wearing this tag for eternity, and I'm okay with that... I'm content... I have a purpose. I witness miracles. I see lives change. I've watch grown men break down in tears, because the spirit pierced their soul... and that pierces my soul... 
   Never in my life, have I been so stressed, so exhausted, so worn-out, or so happy. These feelings that touch my soul are real. The love of Christ can be seen all over this earth, and it has the power to make the most stubborn, hard-hearted, and sorrowful people find peace. I wish I had the zeal that Paul had for this work... or Ammon, or Aaron, or Alma the younger.
   So many people are lost, and seeking for answers. Elder Graham and I taught a man yesterday Jerry. Jerry is 50 years old, he's been through 2 divorces, his twin brother was murdered, his mom has passed on, and he doesn't know his father...  and he has no one. He's alone. He's been to about 30 different churches in his lifetime, but can't find one where he feels God's love. He wants to know why he's here. He wants to know why he had to stay here and his brother had to leave. He wakes up every morning mad. Mad at God, mad at life, mad that his brother died, mad that he has no one. He's so miserable, so all he knows to do is to drink. He drinks until it doesn't hurt anymore, and then he goes to sleep. and when he wakes up again, he's mad.
   We had a very spiritual lesson with him yesterday, and he wants us to come over tonight... but his story tears me apart inside. There are so many people who need God, but they don't know how to get to him. How many people do we walk by everyday who are searching for answers, who feel trapt in a bad marriage, or are struggling to raise their teen-age sons as a single mom, or who just feel lost and alone... If we don't open our mouths, how selfish are we. We could be the answer to their prayers, but sometimes we just dont feel up to it...
Sorry I'm on my soapbox, or whatever people say.  I know this is short but I need to get going. but here's my new address -- 
2504 Maple St.
Little Rock, AR
72204
David, I did get your last dearElder. I really appreciate those when you send them. and bro. Congrats on losing almost 30 pounds, you are a beast. I'm not gonna recognize you when I see you again.
Much love to everyone back home.
-Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment