Monday, December 13, 2010

Farewell Talk (12.12.10)

Good morning brothers and sisters.

For those of you that don't know me, I'm Justin LeBaron.

Yesterday, at the ward Christmas party, Bishop Larsen was talking to my Grandpa, and he said something like, "So, you came to Colorado to see if your grandson knows how to speak", and my grandpa said something like, "Yea, well we'll find out tomorrow".

Well tomorrow has come, and its go time.

I just want to let Bishop Larsen know, and everyone else know, that I know, that Bishop Larsen is a better speaker than me, so be excited for his talk!

But unfortunately you have to sit through mine first.

I'd like to start my talk by reading something from Luke Chapter 15:1-6

1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

In this parable, Christ is teaching us ecactly what I've been asked to speak on today, and that is being a good shepherd.

In my scripture study in preparation for this talk I found four main attributes that seemed to show up often, of what makes a good shepherd.

1. A good shepherd seeks out his sheep that are lost

2. A good shepherd feeds his flocks

3. A good shepherd knoweth his sheep and calls them by name

4. A good shepherd giveth his life for his sheep

In the scriptures, when you hear the words “The Good Shepherd”, they’re referring to Jesus Christ. Christ is “The Good Shepherd”, so if we are striving to be good shepherds, we need to have Christ like attributes.

A good shepherd feeds his flocks

In Ezekiel 34 it says…

13. And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountians of Isreal by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.
14. I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of isreal shall their fold be, there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Isreal
15. I will feed my flocks, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the LORD god.

When I read these scriptures and think about those words, “feeding the flocks of Isreal” I think about how there are so many ways for all of us to do so, especially through the church.

To name a few…

Seminary Teachers

Young Mens and Young Womens Leaders

Deacon and Beehive presidencies

Teacher and Miamaid Presidencies

Priest and Laurel Presidencies

Elders Quorum Presidencies and Relief Society

Home Teaching

Visiting Teaching

Primary Teachers and Leaders

Ward Callings

Stake Callings

There are always opportunities to teach and to serve, and to feed the LORD’s sheep.

I do believe that the BEST way to do that is by magnifying your own calling! Whether it’s a Ward calling or a Stake calling, your calling is important to the Church, and I promise that even if you don’t like your calling, that you’ll find more joy from it when you magnify it! And the LORD will only bless you for doing so.

Another attribute I mentioned is,

A good shepherd knoweth his sheep, and calls them by name

Christ, the good shepherd, knows each of us personally and calls us by name, a way we can try to mirror this into our own lives is by being active members of the ward, reaching out to others and making friends, participating in ward activities, and giving a little extra effort in being social and friendly.

Especially in this Christmas season when it seems like everyone’s a little more friendly and loving, we should try to be Christ-like and reach out to others. It’s the perfect time to make new friends.

Now, I wanna read a few verses from John Ch. 10

9. I am the door; by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy; I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly
11. I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep

This attribute, is one that shows amazing selflessness and love. The good shepherd protects his sheep at any cost, from wolves, or thieves and robbers, and would die for his sheep. Just as Christ gave his life for us, so that we may live, and return to our father, and nothing should stop our efforts from protecting those of our flock, from the evil temptations of the adversary, and the false teachings of man.

We should lead by example and teach by the spirit

It can be hard to watch family members and friends fall into sin and lower their standards.

But it should not be hard to continue to love them and lead them through example.

Now, I wanna go back to the parable I read in the beginning of my talk- The parable of the lost sheep-

In Luke 15 (Verse: 1-6)

We are now living in those last days, when the LORD will gather his lost sheep of Isreal and bring them back to the fold, and as members of the church we are called to be instruments in the LORDs hands.

“If you have desires to serve god, you are called to the work”

Young men, I know you recite these words every week, I hope and pray you are listening to those words as you say them, over the last few months those words have become sacred to me…

Now behold, A marvelous work is about to some forth among the children of men.

Therefore, oh ye that embark in the service of god see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before god at the last day.

Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work!

For behold, the field is white, already to harvest, and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he parisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul

And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of god qualify him for the work

Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you.

There is so much power in those words, and there is so much power in missionary work, it’s us, the members of this church, who have been called to gather the lost sheep of isreal!

Whether they’re the people living two houses down from us, or people we work with, or whether they are the people of the Philippines, where Elder Burton is gathering the lost sheep of Isreal, or the people of Lima, Peru, where Elder Bearnson is gathering the lost sheep of Isreal, or whether it’s the people of Little Rock, Arkansas, where I have been called by my father in heaven to gather his sheep, and where I will willingly go, and where I might serve with all my heart, might, mind, and strength!

I want you to remember, missionary work is not just for missionaries, and nothing can bring in converts like the power of a strong and faithful ward, who are helping missionaries by bringing non-members to church and finding those people who are ready, and referring them to missionaries, and moving the work forward.

I know that where I’ll be serving, I’m praying for a strong ward involved in missionary work, so I want all of you here to remember that it’s not just missionaries, but all who have a desire to god, you are all called to the work!

Pray for missionary experiences; don’t be scared to take that next step, to give a friend a Book of Mormon, to invite non-members to church activities, or to bear your testimony of the truthfulness of this gospel that has changed your life, this gospel is a gift that we need to share!

I want to share a scripture with you, that a person who means a lot to me pointed out to me. And actually this is the scripture that will be on my missionary plaque. Its Alma 29:9

9. I know that which the LORD hath commanded me, and I glory in it, I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the LORD hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of GOD to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

What an amazing man Alma was, and what incredible faith he had!

He didn’t say many souls…

He said, “and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of GOD to bring SOME SOUL to repentance; and this is my joy”.

This is the faith that I strive to have! So that one day, like Alma, I can say…

That my joy, is that I may perhaps bring SOME SOUL to repentance…

And that my glory is to be an instrument in the hands of my god.

Now, I wanna speak directly to the young men.

But first…Bro. Newby, and the preists asked me to give a shout out to them in my talk, so this is my shout out! I love you guys! And also, I better get some letters from you guys over the next two years!

But this is for all the young men here today, so please listen…

I know the struggles of growing up, and finding yourself and your place in this world. I know the temptations you deal with, and those sins that you can fall into, and how easy it is to wake up and find yourself caught up in it.

Growing up is tough.

If you would have asked me two years ago, I would have told you without a shadow of a doubt, that I was not going to serve a mission, that that wasn’t for me, that I wasn’t cut out for it, and that I had made my decision and that that’s how it was going to be.

So I’m sure you can imagine the expressions on my parents faces about 7 months ago when I told them I wanted to serve a mission.

Right now, when you’re in high school, it’s hard to see past your senior year, and its hard to decide where you want your life to go… what you wanna do… where you wanna be…

Young Men, I know that you have felt the spirit

I know that up at Aarons Camp I saw the spirit touch every one of your hearts

A Quorum isn’t just a group of youth, it’s a brotherhood

And every one of you that was in that quorum with me, you’re not just my friends, you’re my brothers.

Listen to me when I say this…

If you’re not praying often, start praying

If you’re not reading your scriptures, start reading

If you don’t know what you believe, then dig down deep inside of you and find it.

Go to seminary, and then while you’re there, Listen!

Take in everything you can, learn all that you can, mark your scriptures, write notes, mark the scripture masteries, use your scriptures so much that they look like they’re going to fall apart.

These are things I wish I would have done back in high school.

Back when I didn’t know I’d ever be up at this pulpit today.

Young Men, if you get anything from my talk, please, never stop praying, never break that relationship you can have with your heavenly father.

We have been told, we are a chosen generation, decide NOW that you want to prepare for a mission, and never lose sight of that goal, no matter how hard life gets.

“We are as the armies of Helaman, we have been taught in our youth, and we will be the LORDs missionaries, to bring the world his truth”

I testify to everyone here today, that we are gods children, and he has sent us here to earth. I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt, that Joseph Smith, was called by God to restore the true church in the latter days, and that he was a true prophet, I know that there is a plan of happiness for us, and that as we obey our heavenly father, we will find joy in this life and in the life to come. I know that my heavenly father, chose me, to serve the people of Little Rock, Arkansas, and that that’s where he needs me to be, and I will go and do what the LORD has commanded me. I’m greatful for this gospel, and I’m greatful for this wonderful ward, and the friends and examples I have here. I say these things in the name of my savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment