Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First Letter 12.22.10

We got Justin's first letter in the mail today....

Dear Mom, (smart kid to address it to his mother)

Sorry it's been a little while since anyone has heard from me, hear at the MTC we are busy, busy, busy!

First, I want you to know I am fine! I'm not homesick. Just pressing forward in the work. I talked to an Elder today who was giving me and my companion some tips on teaching, and he said he didn't get homesick until the second week, but I'm not worried, I love you guys, but for now this is my home. Just a home away from home.

There's a statement I learned that is from Ezra Taft Benson, and in that he says to completely get lost in the work for the Lord and there will be no homesickness if that is what your time, talents, and interests are centered on. It's called "Work, Work, Work". It's really uplifting. I hung it up in my room.

Alright, so, after the whole mix up that morning with missing my flight there were no more set backs. It did not take a long time to finally get here to the MTC. I checked in at 3:30, and they slapped a name tag on me and sent me straight to a big oreintation meeting. I met my companion around 7:00 that night. He was wondering where I was. My companion is Elder Emery. He's such a relaxed guy, I like him. He's not extremely strong spiritually but I've seen him grow so much in the last 3 days. He's from Utah, likes BasketBall, he's a short little Elder, but I like him and we are learning to work well together! We uplift each other and thats whats important!

Our two roommates are great. They're two Idaho farm boys. One is more of a rancher and the other worked on a potato farm his whole life. They are great haha. Elder Adams, and Elder Truman. Elder Truman is a lot like me, with his personality and what motivated him to come on a mission and we can really relate. Elder Adams is a really big guy who talks like he's already been living in Arkansas for two years. He comes from a little place called Elba Idaho, I think, or maybe Alba. He likes to go rabbit shootin' in his spare time and feedin' cows. He's hillarious, haha. I love the 3 elders in my room.

I can't believe its only been 3 days. From 6:30 - 9:30 all we do is work! No personal time. So its been so hard to find time to write! P-Day is on Wednesday, and I got here on a Wednesday. So yea, sorry I haven't written letters. You might get my Wednesday email before you get this letter, but like I was saying, I cant believe its only been three days! I feel like I've been here for 3 weeks, and I feel like I've known the Elders in my room and district for months! they are wonderful. I love them.

All the Elders in my room are going to Little Rock, so we'll be flying out together! that's whats up! haha.I'm trying to get used to not saying "guys" and "dude" and only say "Elders" or "Brethren". harder than you think. But we help each other.

I got my dear elder letters from you guys today, that was nice, I love hearing from everyone, it gives me strength to keep pressing forward, so keep sending me letters, that means more than you know.

Dad asked about the schedule so here's somewhat of a layout, its different everyday though-

6:30 Arise and prepare
7:00-8:15 Personal study
8:15 Breakfast
8:45-10:00 Companion Study
10:00-1:00 Class
1:00 Lunch
1:45-6:00 Class
6:00 Dinner
6:45-9:00 Class
9:00-9:30 Plan for next day
9:30-10:30 Get ready for bed/companionship prayer
10:30 Lights out

So thats pretty much everyday here. 9:30-10:30 is really the only free time we get and I've used that for all the assignments we've gotten at the Zone meetings.

I'm getting better at teaching but its harder than I thought it would be. A lot of class time is devoted to teaching fake investigators. Kind of a "learn by doing" approach. We study the lessons in our own time. which is very limited, and practice teaching and learn teaching tips during class. Our teachers are very helpful in giving feedback though, and I feel like me and my companion improve everyday.

What I focused on a lot recently is something one of the teachers told me, and that's that we're not teaching people, but trying to help make them disciples of Christ, a disciple is a follower of Christ. What we need to do is help them find a love of Christ! and when they center their lives on the Savior everything else will start to fall into place.

I'm sorry this is so long. I just have so much to say. I wish all of you at home could just feel how I feel, and what I've been feeling here in the MTC.

--Behold, I am disciple of Jesus Christ, the son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life. (3 Nephi 5:13)

I find a lot of strength in this scripture, and I just wanted to share it with you guys, because it defines my purpose so well.

Sarah! Awsome Job, Mom said you did good in the play. I wanna hear from you so write me! I hope you found your gift in my room... I love you so much. I'll be praying for you with your school work and just growing up, because its tough! but your tough, so your good :-)I hope your having fun being the only child. haha.

Well its getting late so I'm gonna stop writing so I can mail this before we need to be back in our rooms.I love you family! Stay Strong. I pray for you everyday. Please pray for me, so I can have some extra help keeping this determination, because this honestly is a hard thing. The MTC is no Joke. You'll hear from me soon! I love you.

Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment