Monday, April 18, 2011

4.18.11

Dear Family,
I know, I know, I suck at writing letters lately... Don't worry, it's not gonna be an every week thing :) I know you wanna know what's going on. I swear somethings wrong with me though, I can't concentrate when there's noise, and these lady librarians talk so loud on the phone, lol, but I'll do my best to ignore them. First off, congrats mom! on quiting your yob and getting back on the diet, I'll definately send skinny thoughts your way... and I know you love me and want to send me a package, but I don't know my address, I forgot to write it down before we biked to the library, and I don't have it memorized, but Kelsey has it because I sent a letter to her, so could you get it from her? or worst case scenario you could call the mish office, they'll let you know.

This week was good. Yes, my new companion and I are having our struggles. I love Elder Hardy, but my goodness does he get on my nerves, and I thought I was a pretty hard person to upset, but I'm learning even more patience now. I know that we're working together for a reason, and that I'll only grow because of it, I just keep reminding myself the mission isn't suppossed to be easy. It makes me think of a talk by Elder Holland called "Missionary Work and The Atonement" where he talks about how we all have to go through our own Gethsemene, and just a tiny piece of what the savior did, to reach our own exaltation. The Lord won't give me anything I can't handle though... I just need to give Elder Hardy a little kick in the pants and get him motivated and fired up for the work! He's gotten a little lazy from being with his last companion, but I'm not out here to drag my feet. Things are looking up though, we've had some good conversations. Yelling may have been involved but it was all done out of love.

Last Monday was a fun-filled P-day, we went to the Memphis Temple with most of the missionaries in our Zone, and Brother Floyd, that was awesome, I needed that spiritual boost. Then afterwards we went to Kelsey's favorite place ever- CiCi's Pizza, I think that's how you spell it. Elder Nelson, Elder Badgers new companion challenged all the missionaries to an eating contest, and you know me, I like to eat, and I never turn down a challenge, so it was on like donkey kong. Haha, we started off by grabbing plates of 5 and downing em as fast as we could, after like 30 min Elder Nelson and I were leaving all the other missionaries in the dust, but that man can eat, I was a little scared. We ended up slowing down about the same time, we got to 30 pieces and it was hurting. We spent like 5 minutes eating the very last piece and decided we both capped off at 31 and it was a tie. The really funny thing is, Elder Hardy and I had a dinner appointment within the next 10 minutes with the Townsends! Yeah, I know. Here's the best part, you're gonna love this mom. There was no way I could eat any more food, but I couldn't disappoint the Townsends, I had to make room... So we went around the back of CiCi's and the other missionaries video recorded me throwing some pizza back up, I don't know why they recorded it, haha, they're sick, but the throwing up had to be done. Then I went and had another great meal with Brother and Sister Townsend. It was a good night.

Tuesday, was the start of Elder Hardy and I's first bike week together. haha. Elder Hardy hates riding his bike. Anyway, we finish up comp study and we're getting ready to leave, when we come to find out that his bike tire is flat, and we have no pump. It was great, the only thing Elder Hardy hates more than riding his bike is walking! So we headed off to Raleigh on foot. It takes about 15 minutes to get to our area from our apartment... when you're driving there. It's a good 1 hour and 30-45 min walk though. So that was fun. We had a great walk week walking to and from our area, and Elder Hardy loved every minute of it, lol. Half way through the week Bro Floyd gave us a ride to WallMart, and I ended up buying him a new bike tube because he was fresh outta money, but we fixed up his bike. He liked biking a little more after that.

Our Investigator that is progressing the most is named Travis, but he goes by BIG MAN. Big Man is a stud, he has been to church 3 times, he's had all the lessons, and he wants to get baptized, but he has a problem with cigarettes. I was greatful to have some experience with dealing with a cigarette addiction, because Thomas had the same struggle back in Frayser. We've been working with Big Man, and he should be getting baptized this Saturday! pretty exciting! He's a great guy.

We're struggling to get members to work with us in this area, and honestly, that is the best way to do missionary work. We need to get members out, but our ward, in the words of Sis Townsend, is a ward of misfits and jack mormons. It's sad that it's the way it is, but it's true, I would put my money on saying that over half the ward doesn't even know who Thomas S Monson is. Most of them don't understand the doctrine of the church. Jessica, a girl in Frayser that was baptized almost 14 months ago, told me and Elder Badger that she heard we had a prophet in our church from someone, and she wanted to know if it was true... who baptized this girl? yes jessica, yes that's true! If you came to church maybe you'd know. Sister Taylor, a great spiritual lady in our ward told one of the recent converts, Erik (he looks just like Lil' Wayne btw) , that the Book Of Mormon was just the Bible written in Joseph Smiths words... I love this ward, I really do, but it needs some help. I'm glad there are 8 missionaries in Memphis 1st because the Ward sure needs them. There is no home teaching in the ward, because there aren't enough active members that will do it, so there are 5 different sets of missionaries that do all the home teaching every month. There's definately a lot of work to be done.

I'm very greatful for the few strong families we do have in the ward. The Carters are really great members, Sis Carter is like a mom away from home, sometiems she brings food by, offers rides, and makes sure we're doing okay, so I figured you'd be glad to hear that mom.

I was really excited to hear about Ben's mission call! what a stud that guys is, California spanish speaking. That's so awesome! and I'm so glad to hear that B was able to baptize his little sister, sounds like it was an amazing experience, I love that guy.

I can't believe Mothers Day is just around the corner, are you guys excited to talk to me?? To be honest I don't know what time we're suppossed to be calling or anything, but I do know you don't need to get me a phone card or whatever, because we'll just be using our missionary phone! I can't believe I'm already making my first phone call home, I just left. but I'm excited to hear from all of you, and I'd love it if Stephen and Kelsey were there, I'll talk to Elder Badger and see how Mothers Day phone calls work, and see what time you should be expecting it. I'll let you know next week.

Alright, I love you all, I have to go. Today we're gonna do some hard-core mountain biking with my dear friends the Frayser Elders, and then we're going to CiCi's with Brother and Sister Ginn, that's right. Looks like we'll have to have another eating contest, don't worry guys I'll do whatever it takes to win. lol. I'll be looking forward to the Easter Package, send me some good stuff. Love
Elder Justin LeBaron ( or as Brother Presley would say, The Red Baron)

No comments:

Post a Comment