Monday, May 2, 2011

5.2.11

Dear Familia,
Thank you for all your letters. I didn't get a letter from you again today momma, but I bet it just didn't go through for some wierd reason like last time. My email is trippy. It's okay though, because I get to talk to you in like 6 days anyways. Are you excited?? Me too. I think I'll try to call pretty early so I can talk to Stephen, because he has to bounce at like 10, right? Over here in Tennessee we're an hour ahead, if I remember correctly... The only problem we're facing is that Elder Hardy and I have to go start waking people up and giving rides to church at around 8:30, and then we'll be busy up until church ends and we get everyone home. So if I'm gonna talk to Stevo I'll have to call early, so it'll be like 6:30 or 7 Colorado time. So I think this is the plan... I'm gonna call around 6:30 your time, make sure I talk to Stephen, and whoever else in the morning, go to church, and then call again after church and spend time talking to everyone else. I hear it's cool if I do that. Elder Hardy is planning on using the phone from like 6-9 p.m. I guess, lol. So don't worry, I'll make sure I talk to everyone. It'll be good.
Alright, so since I don't watch the news I don't know if the crazy weather we've been having has been on there, but dad mentioned the tornadoes in his letter so i'm guessing you've heard about it. We've been having crazy crazy storms all week. I think the tornado sirens have gone off at least once every day, and get this! Elder Hardy is not only terrified of tornadoes, but also of heavy rain, and lighting, and pretty much just storm clouds. So he's been having a rough week of overcoming his fears. I've slept in the closet with him a few times because he gets scared, but I'll usually just wait until he falls asleep and then I'll go sleep in my bed.
These storms are crazy though! The sky literally turns this dark shade of green and then it starts to rain like you've never seen before, if you step out into it you automatically get soaked, it's nuts, and the tornado sirens just make it almost creepy. The tornadoes aren't the craziest part though, the flash floods are whats up. Yesterday I was with Elder Peay trying to get an investigator to church, and we were driving through the rain storm and there were parts where the road would dip down, and the water eould literally be coming over the top of the hood for a second. It was insane. We're safe though don't worry.
Missionary work has been slow this week due to the insane weather, but we've been able to do a lot of service. Yesterday Elder Hardy, Elder Peay, Elder Fry and I, all dug this huge trench for Brother Ausburn to keep the water from flooding his house for the 2nd time. It was cool, cuz we didn't have time to go change because the tornado/rainstorm was coming in 45 min, and so we just went and dug this massive trench in the mud in our suit pants and white shirts. Don't worry we took off our shoes first. Honestly it was awesome. Elder Fry has a picture, I'll try to get it.
We wanted to watch our trench in action and see if it kept the water out, but after the sirens started going off Brother Ausburn told us we needed to go get someplace safe... plus Elder Hardy was freaking out. So we went and took cover in the Frayser house. It was a fun day though.
I think it was Wednesday that President sent out a mass text to the mission saying all missionaries in the whole mission had to be inside and safe and take cover by 6 pm, and that we weren't allowed to go out and teach unless we we're using a car. no biking or walking. We were on our bikes when we got that text, at like 5 pm, but we were right next to the Frayser house, so we got inside and had a sleep over with the Frayser elders that night. So this weeks been pretty exciting.
Aside from all that craziness, we've been working with Shamika a lot this week. She's quit smoking now, and she's way excited for her baptism on Saturday! Yeaah Buddy. She's a way cool girl, she's Big Man's older sister. We're reading through the Book of Mormon with Big Man and Shamika together and they're loving it. They are way solid. Things are looking gooood.
Elder Hardy was greatful for the things he got in the package the Boyd's sent me. Except for the chalk, lol. He was like, what in the heck? why'd your girlfriend send me chalk?? It made me laugh pretty hard. I really think he enjoyed just getting something though, his parents didn't send him an easter package, I think Elder Hardy just needs some lovin. So if anyone sends me another package while I'm with him, feel free to put some stuff in there for him, I think it would really make his day.
Also, thank you so much for the package familia, I got it a little late but I still got it. For future reference, try not to send packages via UPS, because they require a signature, and missionaries are gone from 10:00 - 9:00 everyday, so they never catch us, lol. They left a notice on the door, and I just left them a sticky note asking them to give it to the neighbors and have them sign for it, so either way it all worked out. Thank you for sending my favorite cereal and some food! If you haven't noticed I've been spending a little more money from home lately, I was dumb this past month with budgeting my money, but don't worry I have 20 more chances to figure out how to live of off 125 dollas. I should been more than good this month, especially since both of my loving grandparents sent me a little cash. Thank you grandparents!
I've been thinking lately, and I think it'd be way awesome if I had some magic tricks I could do for little kids. We see lots and lots of herds of those little black buggers running around, and the parents love it when we entertain thier kids, and it's a good way to break the ice and get in to teach families. SO, if you guys ever have time and see some cool magic tricks that you could send me, that would be perfect, and some cheap little CTR rings, those are awesome, kids love them.
Elder Peay has some cool little books, like "Missionary Object Lessons" and some other Missionary help books. He told me his parents sent them from an LDS book store, so if you ever see anything helpful like that, it'd make a good present for me okay ;) lol. Just some ideas.
I love all of you very much.
Here in Tennessee and Arkansas the casualties haven't been too bad, I think 7 people died here, but I hear over 200 died in Alabama from these storms coming through, So just remember to keep those who have been effected in your prayers!
-Elder LeBaron
p.s. Stephen, Thank you for your email. I really enjoyed your story, sometimes we don't even realize the impact we have on others! That's honestly so awesome. Love you and I'll send you a letter soon. I'm looking forward to talking with you this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment