Monday, May 30, 2011

5.30.11

Dear Family,
Aloha, It sounds like things are going good. Sounds like you're pretty dedicated to working out momma, keep it up, that's way awesome. At this rate I won't recognize you when I get home. Sounds like lil Sarah had a crazy week, with herbabysitting experience and all, you're getting so old Sarah, stop sounding so mature in your letters it's freakin me out. Glad to hear everything is bueno.
Highlight of the week, Erbin got baptized in Saturday! Ayy-OH. He's tobacco free and the newest member of the Memphis 1st Ward :) The best part was, it was Elder Jones' first baptism! Super awesome. He loved it, and then I confirmed Erbin yesterday in church. When you get a baptism you know it's a good week. I'm so proud of Erbin for making it this far, he had a lot of persecution from his uncle and the people around him, but he pushed through, sacrificed, and overcame. He's a great guy and he'll make a great preisthood holder.
Aside from Erbin it was a rough week for missionary work, Wednesday another tornado came through the area and we got trapped in the Frayser House for a while, President sent out a mission-wide text saying no walking or biking, and we had actually walked to our area that day, so we weren't allowed to teach without the car. It was so lame... I hate not being able to do missionary work during the day, nothing feels worse than wasting time. Elder Jones took a nap, and actually made my own cut-outs for the plan of salvation, cuz Elder Hardy took ours with him, and I decided I'd rather make my own vs. having to wait for the media orders to get in.
Speaking of Elder Hardy, boy do I miss that guy. I hear he's doing pretty well over in Maple Street, but our District isn't the same without him. I would actually love to serve another transfer with him, he needs a little encouragement from time to time, but he's a great missionary. He's willing to work, and his heart is in the right place. Your success as a missionary all comes down to your commitment. Your commitment to find, teach, and obey with exactness. That's all it takes to be a good missionary. So many missionaries think you have to be an amazing teacher, but in all honesty that's not true at all. That's why I love Elder Hardy, he knew he didn't have the best teaching skills, but that wouldn't stop him from giving 100% of what he did have to a lesson.
The ALRM (Arkansas Little Rock Mission) is a great mission though, President said we're tearing it up. Apparently we're the 3rd highest baptizing mission, per missionary, in North America, idk how many missions are in North America, but that sounds pretty good doesn't it? This is a hard working mission, and I love it. We're getting a new mission President next transfer though, which is super weird, I'm honestly a little nervous about it. I feel like no one could replace President Drewes, but I'm sure things will be fine, God knows what he's doing.
I've been focusing a lot on the Jackson family this transfer. They're a less active, recent convert family in the ward. There's Ronnie and Keisha, and they're 4 kids - Ke'ron, Ke'Onna, KaMiaya, and KaXavier. and Keisha's mom Michelle lives with them, and Keisha's brother Big Mike. They've been having a lot of struggles recently... we go over nearly every night and read a chapter of the Book Of Mormon with them, and then go around in a circle and talk about what we personally learned from the chapter and how we can apply it, it's really good. They've been coming to church more recently now, like once a month. I love them so much, they're great people, but they have their fair share of problems. Their marriage isn't going so great, they don't talk, or spend any time together, they don't even sleep in the same room. They've been married for about 3 years now. Ronnie doesn't have a job, and I think part of that is because of his background. I know he's been in and out of jail. Keisha doesn't work either. They both live off of food stamps, and in section 8 housing, and Michelle is living there and she's an alcoholic. I almost feel like as a missionary, in this situation, I don't know what to do. We've been working on getting Ronnie a job, he's applied all over the place. It's hard enough as is, and he's obviously not the 1st pick. Keisha goes out clubbing all the time, and neither of them trust the other in any way. Their kids are the glue that's holding them together. We sat down and made goals together. We read "a proclamation to the world" with them. We got them to pray as a family, and as a couple, every night. They're making progress, but it's hard to watch them struggle. Ronnie left church yesterday determined to walk the 20 miles home because him and Keisha had a fight in church, of all places. I saw him leaving, so I grabbed Elder Fry, and we picked him up and took him home, I had a good talk with him. He keeps telling me they got married too young and they should just get a divorce, and I keep convincing him to bear with patience, and that things will get better. I'm praying for guidance, as to what I need to do, and what my role is in this situation as their missionary. I've decided what it comes down to is that I know nothing about being married, I'm just a 19 year old kid. So, This is what I came up with... Mom and Dad, if you could give me some advice as to how I can help them... Maybe, if you could find the time, you could each write letters, Dad you could write a letter to Ronnie, and Mom you could write a letter to Keisha. I know you don't know them at all, and they're both A LOT different then the two of you, but you both know about marriage, and I'm sure you've had your fair share of challenges and struggles. If you could give them some simple advice on how to have a happier marriage through living the gospel, and how you've found that in your own lives, I think that would give them some hope. You could really touch their lives. I know me being on a mission isn't just a great experience for me, but for the whole family, and I know you guys would do anything for me, so I'm asking for a little help. I would appreciate that soooo much. You don't have to be in a rush to write them, and they don't need to be novels, just heart felt and directed by the spirit. I think that would really help them, so please think about it.
Aside from that, everyone in our area is doing pretty good, and I feel like I'm learning and growing a lot as a missionary. Elder Badger is freaking out because I'm getting closer and closer to my 6 month mark, and he's my mission daddy, so that means he's getting way old. He feels like he'll be transfered outta hear in 3 weeks. Which makes sense because he's been in Frayser 6 transfers... If he does leave the ward that'll be so weird. He's been right there my whole mission, he's like my best friend out here, I don't know what I'll do without him. We'll see if he really does leave or not.
Thank you So much for the package! I appreciate it, it saved my life, especially the extra cash. You guys are the best. I love you! I have to get going. Have an amazing week, and keep Ronnie and Keisha in your prayers.
Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment