Monday, October 3, 2011

10.03.11


Aloooooo-ha.
 
   How ya'll doin? Sounds like er'thang is pretty good back home. Things are pretty good here in Tennessee as well. The work has been kinda slow, but the Lord has been opening doors this past week, and I'm so excited for this up-comming week. It's gonna be awesome.
  I'm glad to hear you all enjoyed conference. I did too. I felt the same way, it was wierd just knowing everyone back home was watching the same thing I was at the same time. I felt connected to ya. I gotta say, my favorite talk was President Eyring during preisthood session. I looked back at my notes and like half of them were from that talk. He's a stud. I love how he talked about how power and strength comes from working past the point where others would stop or take a break, and how the Lord will give you strength beyond your own capabilities.
   Something that just popped in my head, I'm sure in my emails you notice I say stud a lot. Well I say it all the time when I'm teaching and I talk about Ammon or Alma or Helaman, or anyone who is worthy to be called a stud, and I noticed a few months ago that almost everytime I say it the people I'm teaching giggle or laugh. So I finally just asked why they laughed whenever I said stud, and they told me that when you say the word "stud" in the ghetto, it means lesbian. So I was like what??? blown away. I thought a stud was like a male horse. I don't know where ghetto people get all this crazy slang. So I try not to call people studs anymore when I teach, lol. But ya'll know what I mean when I say it, so I can use it in my emails.
   My first District Meeting went pretty good. I was getting a lot of comments and questions, and everyone was participating, so i think that means it went good. We talked a lot about FEAR, and how that can hinder us as missionaries, sometimes more than anything else. So we talked about ways to eliminate it and to be more bold and fearless. I used an object lesson from that book you guys sent me, so thank you! It was pretty legit. We also really focused on Inspiring vs. critisizing. Which is a huge lesson I've learned on my mission. If you want to help someone improve, critisism does nothing, if anything in most situations it makes the victim not want to change and pushes them further down. When you critisize it is often a form of pride, where you put yourself on a higher level than someone else, and tell them what they lack. When you inspire, you show humility, and patience, and love. Christ showed us how to inspire. He humbly, quietly, and confidently led the way by his perfect example. He never pointed out sinners, or told them they weren't good enough. I love the scripture in 3 Ne, where Christ asks the question "What manner of men ought ye to be?" and he answered it "even as I am". There can be no better leader than a man who shows the way by his own thoughts and actions.
   After District Meeting I went on exchanges with Elder Owen, the Elder from England. That was really fun, lol, I just love hearing him talk. We ended up teaching a family the Plan Of Salvation and setting a baptismal date with them, so that was awesome. Midtown is doing well. Elder Petersen is his trainer, and he's one of my very best friends I've made on the mission. He's a lot like me, just really short. lol.
   The rest of the week kinda flew by. We had baptismal dates with Crystal and Dennis, and they were looking so solid, but out of no where they decided to move up to Arkansas. We'll refer them to the missionaries there, but I was bummed we don't get to work with them anymore.
   We have a few awesome refferals we need to follow up with tonight and tommorrow, and it should be sweeet.
   My whole District is doing awesome. We set a goal for the month of October to baptize 10 people together as a District. So that's 2 per companionship. We have 17 dates all together, and the month just started so it's looking good.
   Elder Kowalk and I just recently started working with Mary's son, John. Mary is the Sudan lady Elder Jones and I baptized. So I'm way excited for him. He came to conference with Mary yesterday, and he said he loved it! We're meeting with him again on Wednesday. I can't wait for that.
   Oh, something uncool that I just thought about. The AP's came up with this thing called the "Car Fast", where we get to park the cars for however many companionships in our zone go over on miles. So we're all allotted around 1000 miles a month, which tends to disappear pretty quick, and we have like 13 cars in our Zone, so we could possibly bike for 13 days straight, not including our bike week. So that sucks. lol. President is going to have a conference call tonight with all the mission leadership and tell us every companionship that went over,and how many days each zone has to bike. So we'll find out tonight. From the information I've gathered it should be only like 5 days.
   Well, I love you all. There was a few other things I was gonna mention but I can't remember em, so I guess they weren't that important. Have a good week. Hear from ya next week. Keep on keepin' on.
 
Elder LeBaron

No comments:

Post a Comment